Wednesday, May 23, 2012

We're far from home, it's for the better.

I really wanted to write every day but the first week has been so chaotic that I have not had any time to just sit and think. The days go by so fast here that’s hard to remember everything that we have done.

We arrived Friday and spent the weekend at Hotel Royal because check-in was not until Sunday. Saturday night we got together with our classmates and ate dinner paid by WSU at Outside Bistrot which was located on the river to the left of the Pointe Vecchio.. After dinner Chef Jamie (the head chef at WSU and who is our program director) led us to a couple of bars around town. This was one of the best nights, especially since Tequila was 3 shots for 5 Euro at the Old Stove, Cougs love their tequila. Sunday we had check-in which we got to move into our apartments. I live on Via Ghellibina which is located down the street from to the restaurant we work at called Ganzo and about twenty minutes (walking) from Apicius (our school), not too shabby.



Monday (the 14th) –


We started class and had orientation most of the day. We had a tour of Florence of all the architecture and the history behind it. Florence is absolutely gorgeous and the historic architecture is a whole other world. After that a few of the girls and I explored a little bit. At 8pm we had a group dinner at Ganzo. They served us a two course meal, a dessert and tons of wine. It was sooo good. We had pesto gnocchi, a meat platter of pork, chicken and something else with potatoes and a caramelized sauce. The dessert was an apricot mousse; I have never felt so fortunate with food. After dinner we went home and passed out.


Tuesday-


We had our official first day of class. The days switch from 9-10:30 from food and beverage management operations (learning the different types of restaurants in Italy and how they are ran) or Survival of Italian (Italian language) and from 10:45-11:45 we have Italian food gastronomy (learning the basics of the Italy's famous ingredients) which has been my favorite so far. After those classes we have our culinary lab for 2 ½ hours where Chef Fabio and Chef Andrea split us into two groups and teach us how to cook. On this day we made Florentine Crespelle (Crepes with spinach), Duck breast with apple and a celeriac pure and chocolate sauce. All of these recipes are delicious and they get better each day. The best part is we get to eat everything after we cook it. After class we had a tour at Accademia Gallery where we got to see the David and many other sculptures created by Michelangelo and other artists. The David was huge and it took him two or three years to sculpt it. I wish I could have taken a picture but they had men running around yelling “Noo picture” (with an accent) at people. After the tour we had to run to work. The group is split up once again by living arrangements so people can walk home safely at night. Danielle and I live on the same street as the boys so we work with them. Work consists of prepping for the event depending on the day of the week where Monday and Tuesday has a basic menu, Wednesday is an Appetizer night, and Thursday is a themed night. Ganzo’s employees are wonderful; they always are making jokes and just trying to have fun with us along with teaching as well. After work we all decided to go out and celebrate our first day. The Old Stove it was!



Wednesday-

Same thing, school and then culinary lab. We made Canestrello Del Vignaiolo (Bread basket with vegetables and meat on polenta) I am not a fan of polenta, reminds me too much of grits/oatmeal. After class I do not really remember what we did… trying to remember everything is such a blur and hurts my head. Not a blur because of drinking, but the first week was so chaotic. A few of us wandered around and randomly selected a restaurant (Osteria Dei Piezza) that turned out to be extremely good. Our server was a teacher at Apicius for Wine but he does not teach during the summers due to overload of students. He treated us very well and the food was delciouuus! The best I have had so far (I say this every time). We plan on going back there again sometime either this week or next. After dinner a few of us decided to go out. We went to a few new bars, one was the old stove (Florence has two or three bars that are called old stove but different getups) and a place called Uncle Jimmy's where you can write all over the walls, tables and chairs just like at the Coug. It was a laid back night and we met some girls from the East Coast who were traveling for fun.



Thursday- 


In lab we made Involtini Di Vitello Al Tartufo (Veal rolls with truffle, the mushroom not chocolate) and Risotto Al Tartufo (Risotto with truffles). This was another one of my favorites, never had truffle before but I have learned quite a bit about it and when I become rich, I will def. be cooking more with truffle. After class we did not have to work again so Danielle, the boys and I walked around the river and did some sight-seeing. It was intensely hot outside. After our walk, we met up with the group we work with and Chef for the themed dinner at Ganzo. There is Danielle, the five boys who live on the same street as us (Ben, Brian, Chris, Isaiah and Josh) and then Roxann and Brian who is the cutest couple who came back to school in their 40’s to learn about wine and food. The theme of dinner was raw meat so we ate a lot of fish and other meats that you can serve raw. My memory sucks so I do not remember what we had exactly but I do know it was good... like usual. It was a really fun dinner with such a small group of us instead of all 30. The best thing about dinners in the Italian culture is you can sit down and eat for hours on end and converse about anything with not a worry in the world; nothing beats it.  
  

Friday- 

Everyone was hung over. Our Thursdays are our Fridays due to some of the trips we have planned on the weekends. Class was hard to get through without falling asleep and standing during culinary lab was also brutal. In our Italian gastronomy class our professor brought in three different types of balsamic vinegar ranging from age and prices of $4-$80. This is the reason why it is my favorite class. We try all these various ingredients that would cost a fortune for free.

In lab we made Filetto Di Maiale Con Aceto Basalmico E Salsa Ai Porri (Pork fillet with balsamic vinegar and leek sauce), Salsa All’aceto Basalmico (Balsamic vinegar sauce) Gelato Fiordilatte (Vanilla Gelato) with a strawberry sorbet. The pork fillet was melt in your mouth good. I am telling you every day I have lab I think that the meal is my favorite and then the next day just blows my mind.. On Fridays and weekends we do not have to work. Chef had a dinner planned for us at one of his favorite restaurants called Ciro and Sons. The interior was beautiful with chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and everything lit up. The staff is like family to him, you could see the relationship because they treated us very well. After dinner we went out and bought some wine and sat on the Pointe Vecchio and listened to live music. We cut our night short because we had to be at the bus stop at 7AM for a field trip.


Saturday & Sunday, first field trip-


 We left on a bus to go to Carrara, Italy which was about 2 hours away from Florence, we then had a tour up to the Apuan Alps where is known to be the world’s largest Marble quarry. After seeing the marble we went to the Lardo di Colonnata di Giannarelli where they make Lard. They made us a plate of lard on bread; I ate about four of them (of course). It’s actually really good, almost like a butter spread but different.  It’s illegal in America which is probably a good thing because we’d be even more obese than we already are. After the Lard, we took our bus to the Eden hotel that was right on the Mediterranean Sea. We got a few hours to relax and do whatever we wanted. We had another dinner that was a buffet and after that dinner everyone got some bottles and we all headed for the beach. We sat on the sand by the Mediterranean Sea all night. About six of lasted until 2 AM, and then we went back to the hotel. They gave us the first floor which was probably a mistake. I think we fell asleep around 3 and about 40 minutes later an earthquake hit, which we all slept through. Woke up early Sunday and we had a buffet breakfast waiting for us. After that we got back on the bus and went to the train station to go to Cinque Terre. It was really pretty buut the weather was not in our favor. My friend Bryn and I went and did some shopping and then we had a seafood dinner at CIAK with a chef that was the cutest little thing- he was even wearing his sailor hat. The seafood there was so fresh, it was delightful. Of course I ordered oysters and of course, they were delicious. After dinner we were going to go travel some more but we heard that the trains might go on strike so instead we headed back. To end the weekend we had a group meeting discussing details for WSU’s theme night at Ganzo. It is our final project where we create a menu and cook and serve it to our guests


Monday (May 21st) –


Cheese tasting was this day and in lab we made Fettuccine Con Rucola E Gorgonzola (Fettuccine with rocket and gorgonzola) and Chizze Reggiane (Cheese puffs), this was another one of my favorite dishes which I really want to make at home. After lab it has been lately non-stop pouring rain (making me homesick) so Danielle and I went to a local sports store and bought new winter jackets. I have not taken mine off yet, it is sooo comfy, probably the best purchase I’ve made so far besides the food here. After that I started this blog which I haven’t been able to finish until now but we also went to dinner at our internship Ganzo and ate with Chef. It was nice to have some one on one time with him without everyone in the group. Dinner was delicious; I had pork fillet with an apple sauce and chickory along with an artichoke risotto and a glass of house white wine. For dessert I had a white raspberry mousse. After dinner we just went home and hung out, cleaned up the house a little and relaxed; we don’t get to do that very much.

Tuesday- 


In class we got to test different olive oils. Olive oil is extremely cheap here; I plan on bringing back a really nice one to cook with at home. In lab we made Linguine Al Pesto (Linguine with pesto sauce) and Filetto di maiale confit, mele, cipolla di tropea (Pork fillet confit).. This was another one of my favorites as well, I use to not like pesto but it’s really growing on me. After lab Danielle and I and a few of the boys went up to visit the Michelangelo where you can view all of Florence from up top. It was a little cloudy and had a thunder and lightning storm which was kind of neat. After the Michelangelo we ate and then went to The William (another local bar) for a little and called it a night. 



Wednesday –

Today in class we learned more Italian and got to taste Bresaola which is an Italian air-cured beef, looks like thin sliced lunch meat. In lab we made Risotta con Bresaola E Bitto ( Risotta with Bresaola and Bitto cheese)  and Congilio in Porchetta (Rabbit leg) but instead of Rabbit leg we did chicken. This was kind of hard because we had to cut off the thigh of the chicken and then cut out the bone of the leg, definitely complicated and requires some skill. Here's an ending result to our dish:



Risotta

The Chicken with Tomato spice beans

Getting critiqued by Chef Fabio 
My Partner Josh 



After lab the boys and Danielle and I had to go home, had about a 30 minute break and then went to work at Ganzo. It was our first official 8 hour work shift and I had so much fun! We did the Appetiza night where we made appetizers. I love it over here and can't get enough.  The days are long but well worth the exhaustion. Every day when I wake up and walk to class it's like a dream with the tall historic buildings towering over me, the rude (but hot) Italians who never move out of your way and the cars that never stop for you; I love it. The days that I have off and can just go grab a bottle of wine or a beer for .55 and go walk around and explore  is one of my favorite past times. I hate sitting inside my little apartment, I feel like I'm just wasting my time in Europe. The first week here has gone and flew by so fast and we're almost done with the second. I cannot wait for what the next six weeks will bring and the memories that will be made, we have so many already, it's hard to keep track. I need some sleep I plan on going running in the morning, hopefully that'll happen. As for now I hope you've enjoyed my adventures that I've had so far and I hope that I will be able to share some more soon. We have another field trip this weekend on Saturday to the Parmesan factory! Ciao Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment