I started a post on
the airplane with the help of an open bar provided by Delta Airlines, let’s
just thank them they did not have free Wi-Fi. I forget how much I hate being
jet lagged and how it can throw me off mentally. The plane ride to Amsterdam
was nine hours long with the twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. I felt like a
zombie by the time we got on the plane to fly to Florence. Amsterdam feels like
a dream but I had a blast.
The flight was long but they had free movies, free HBO and ShowTime and other TV shows to keep me occupied. Little did I know that Delta gave out an unlimited amount of beer and wine. Danielle (my roommate) and I consumed quite a lot of wine and a good nap in. Not only did they have free booze, but also served us three meals, I have never been so happy on an airplane. Once we landed we received a bottle of wine off the plane courtesy of the Coug flight attendant that was serving us (Go Cougs!).
Lucky for us the airport had baggage storage and downtown was only a 20 minute train ride away. There is plenty to do and see in Amsterdam within a 12 hour window. Danielle and I first visited Anne Frank's huis. It was really cool to be in something that was a huge part of history but also a littlee creepy/depressing. You're not supposed to take pictures inside but I snapped a picture of where the bookcase was that covered the opening of their hide out.
The flight was long but they had free movies, free HBO and ShowTime and other TV shows to keep me occupied. Little did I know that Delta gave out an unlimited amount of beer and wine. Danielle (my roommate) and I consumed quite a lot of wine and a good nap in. Not only did they have free booze, but also served us three meals, I have never been so happy on an airplane. Once we landed we received a bottle of wine off the plane courtesy of the Coug flight attendant that was serving us (Go Cougs!).
Lucky for us the airport had baggage storage and downtown was only a 20 minute train ride away. There is plenty to do and see in Amsterdam within a 12 hour window. Danielle and I first visited Anne Frank's huis. It was really cool to be in something that was a huge part of history but also a littlee creepy/depressing. You're not supposed to take pictures inside but I snapped a picture of where the bookcase was that covered the opening of their hide out.
The next place we went to was the I AMSTERDAM sign.
Walked past Von Gogh's Museum, wish we would have went in, I love his art.
After walking
around for a bit, we ate and Danielle’s jet lag started to kick in so we made a
meeting spot at the train station where she rested and I went to venture into
the Red Light District
Red Light District was not what I
expected, it was laid back and full of junkies. I would go back but never
alone. After I took this last picture I had this gut feeling that something was
not right and realized I was being followed by some creeper. He was a tall
extremely thin man looked to be late teens, early twenties, and looked to be
Cambodian. He was wearing a gray sweat outfit and holding a bag of fruit and
was licking his lips at me. I will never forget that look. First thing that
came to mind was the movie Taken. I saw him and turned around and went three
different ways and he was still right behind me staring at me. Luckily there
was a cop nearby and I asked him to point me in the direction of the train
station. Unfortunately he was a tad busy but a local girl overheard me and told
me she was on her way and that I could walk with her. She was incredibly nice
and we walked and talked until the train station. The creeper followed us until
we were about a block away. I definitely learned my lesson. I am never roaming
the streets alone in Red Light, even if it is in the day time. Found Danielle
and went back to the airport. I could not wait to leave Amsterdam haha. I am
now in Florence staying at hotel because we cannot move into our apartments
yet. We have our first dinner as a group so I should get going and will write
another entry sooner or later, but that is it for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment